Sunday, February 18, 2007

Evaluation

I have to start off by saying that at the start of this brief I really wasn't looking forward to making a 6 minute video, the whole idea of it terrified me. The blog didn't appeal to me at all either as I don't really like working in front of a computer for long periods of time because my attention span isn't long enough. I found it really hard to start the blog because when we started I had no idea what I wanted to make a video on and struggled to find artists whose work I found interesting.
Once Carol, Ally and I decided to work together, after realising we had the same kind ideas, made it easier to define what research went into my blog. At the beginning I thought that working together might make it a little bit crowded and that there would be differences in opinions or it may give someone the chance to just sit back without contributing much, however as we were all very dedicated and passionate about what we were doing. We found that there weren't any of these problems, we all put in our ideas and we were lucky that the raw footage that we all collected separately just seemed to fit together. Bringing different ideas meant that our video could have many dimensions to it, we could take our video in many different directions from our wide range of clips. Regular updates onto my blog of our progress helped us to recognise what was working and to define what we needed to change the next day.


Overall I think that working in 3 worked out the better for us even though people may think that it was easier working in it a three it still took us around 4 weeks to get it completely finished and once we'd finished the sound and image editing we got on to concentrating on the projection part of the project. Carol created our sphere to project onto as we needed to use her exercise ball as mould for the shape we wanted to create. The week leading up to our presentation we worked out all the heights, distances and measurements we needed to know for our presentation to look right.

On the day of the presentation we briefly explained our ideas and the way in which we made our video without giving away any interpretations of our own about what we think of the video this was so that everyone could develop their own thoughts and ideas about it. As we made our video with a narrative our images were coherent and flowed, this meant that it would keep peoples attention and they could develop their own ideas about the plot. I think this is very important as throughout the day whilst watching other peoples work I could feel my own attention slipping and being distracted from watching, I think that some people thought that they could get away without doing much work and hoping that it would just work out on the day for them. I think some people were proved wrong with some cringing and uncomfortable moments throughout the day.

I can honestly say that I have enjoyed working together on the video and I am very proud of what we have achieved even though it took a lot of work, effort and time.

No comments: