Friday, April 27, 2007

Further Development


This is a photograph of the coloured shapes showing how the light has created a shadow on some of the edges of the shapes depending on how they are layered.

This is a photograph of the development of the painting after I have tried to create the shadowing from the shapes. I think that after painting in the shadows, using burnt umber, the painting looks less flat, however I still think it could look a lot better. I will have to wait a while before returning as the paint at this stage is very thick.

These are close ups of the painting showing the shadowed effect.



Howard Hodgkin
Rain 1984-9
Oil on wood
support: 1640 x 1795 x 51 mm
painting

Night and Day, 1997-99


I absolutely love Howard Hodgkins work. The overlapping of the colours, the texture of the paint and the visability of the brush strokes gives his work a lot of depth and movement. I like how his paintings still have at times a watered down effect, and I think that once my painting has dried a bit I would like to try and wipe away some of the paint in some areas to create some light in the colours.

No comments: